We are starting a new tradition here on the New Thought Sobriety blog. The first Tuesday of each month, we will publish a post in the form of a LIST (after all, who doesn’t love a list?).
Each list post will feature things that are helpful, informative, educational, or inspiring! For example, “Top 10 Books on Recovery and Spirituality” or “Five Ways to Move Through the Holidays Peacefully.”
Enjoy our first one below, and let us know how you like it!
10 Sober Stress Relievers That Work Better Than Taking a Drink
1. Get a glass of sparkling ice water or club soda or Pellegrino (or diet coke if you must).
2. Walk outside and take a short stroll around the block, yard, or complex.
3. Take 20 deep breaths – fully inhaling and exhaling each and every time.
4. Make a short mental list of 5 things for which you are grateful.
5. Call a trusted someone – to share what’s happening OR even to just chat about something pleasant and uplifting.
6. Put on a favorite song and dance around.
7. Do some yoga stretches or just stand up straight, arms overhead and stretch… and breathe.
8. Think of something funny and generate a laugh or at least smile.
9. Open up the Big Book, or the Science of Mind textbook, or any one of a zillion books that have inspiring thoughts, reminders, and quotes and read a page or a paragraph.
10. High five yourself for knowing that you have a choice in the moment and even though you are having a Restless, Irritable, or Discontent moment, you can make it through.
• What are some the the ways you effectively deal with stress?
• Do you have a “go to” stress reliever that works every time?
In gratitude, harmony and support,